In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Bar Harbor Fire Department

Bar Harbor Fire Department, ca. 1895

Contributed by Bar Harbor Fire Department
MMN Item 17456 Item Details
Bar Harbor Fire Department, ca. 1895
MMN Item 17456 Zoom

Description

The original building of the Bar Harbor Fire Department was built in 1882 and cost $2,200. It was known as the Fountain Rodick Engine Company #1.

The bell that can be seen in the upper left arrived on Feb. 7, 1882 and was rung for the first time. The bell was solid brass and weighed 200 pounds.

In 1891 the Town of Eden authorized organizing a hook and ladder company. It was known as the W.M. Roberts Hook and Ladder Company. The sign is visible in the image.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.